Hello CreatorHealth Family! I came across Samii's channel about 3 months ago, when I was learning more about vegan diets and how a community of thoughtful, kind people were growing around the topic. Very quickly, I came to realize that many in the vegan community had experienced the ups and downs of dealing with a mental health issue. When I came across Samii's channel, I realized I had gone through a lot of the same things, and found her mental health journey inspiring and educational. I'd like to thank Samii for participating in this interview, so please give her a subscribe if this interview inspires you as well. For me, the biggest takeaway is a quote Samii shares when asked about advice for those suffering with a mental health issue.
"One important thing I want everyone who is struggling to know is actually not a piece of advice. I think the most important thing to keep in mind while struggling is that although everyone always says to stay strong, it is ok to allow yourself to feel weak at times. All your thoughts and feelings are valid and they are not your fault, nor are they shameful."
For a lot of my life, I have been told to toughen up, and ignore the feelings and emotions attached to depression and anxiety. It was strangely calming and self-validating to hear Samii comment on the validation of all feelings we have. It actually helped me let go of feelings of sadness faster, as I felt more confident that these feelings come and go, and do not define me. They are part of me, but do not define me.
1. When did you start your YouTube channel? What inspired you to create videos?
- I started making youtube videos when I was in sixth grade as a way to have fun and express myself through my videos. As I got older my life changed drastically and I no longer had time to make videos. I had always missed making videos, so last year I decided to make a channel again. At first I wasn't sure what exactly to center my channel around, but once making videos became harder due to my mental health and I had to once again consider leaving You Tube, I thought about it and decided that if I am dealing with this and I know others are too, why not talk about it?
2. How has YouTube helped you learn more about yourself
- Having the opportunity to verbalize thoughts and feelings instead of trying to shift through my mind alone helped me in delving deep within my brain to realize my true self.
3. You're an exceptional storyteller. What is your process for creating a storyline?
- My process of creating a storyline is to try to think back to a time in my life that is relevant to others current situations. I do my best to assess what was going on within myself at those times, trying to remember how I thought and felt, along with doing my best to understand what the situation would look like from an outside perspective.
4. Who are your inspirations on YouTube? How have these channels helped you better understand your mental health journey?
- Surprisingly enough, I don't generally look to other You Tubers for inspiration, but rather people I know or have met in real life along with those who reach out to me via social media. When people share their stories with me, whether it be about their hard times or how they've risen out out of those hard times, it inspires me to do the same.
5. What is the most important piece of advice you'd share with someone who is struggling?
- One important thing I want everyone who is struggling to know is actually not a piece of advice. I think the most important thing to keep in mind while struggling is that although everyone always says to stay strong, it is ok to allow yourself to feel weak at times. All your thoughts and feelings are valid and they are not your fault, nor are they shameful.
6. We're fans of your channel! What is coming next? Anything exciting planned?
- A lot of things in my life are going through a change, as is my channel! Although my channel will always be a safe space and place for open conversation I plan to tackle the subject of mental health in a more artistic way in my up coming videos. I am also in the early stages of creating a clothing company that will feature a line of T shirts that will express an array of positive messages.